Sunday, October 5, 2008

I love a good party: General Conference PARTAY



I love General Conference. I come away inspired every time. Listening to Conference has changed substantially in the last couple of years: less note-taking, pondering, reflecting, and much more chasing, disaster preventing, and redirecting little bodies away from the laptop. It's always nice to hang around in our loungers and nestle in for a long stretch of great talks. I remember, as a kid, watching conference was kind of magical--you mean, we watch church at home? Woah!  Many times during my childhood, my family would go to my grandma's house to watch conference; the adults watched the talks on tv and we ran around, like the crazy kids we were. Then, we had a very traditional Sunday supper prepared by my Grandma. This last weekend, I invited some friends over for the Sunday afternoon session and dinner afterwards, in honor of those family memories that come with Conference weekend.



Really, what would a family Sunday dinner be without the old pot roast in the slow cooker all day? Here's the recipe:

Italian Pot Roast
3 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed and halved crosswise
4 garlic cloves
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Coarse Salt and Pepper
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 1/2 pounds small waxy potatoes
1 can whole tomatoes in puree (28 ounces)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried and crumbled)


  1.  With a sharp paring knife, cut 4 slits in beef roast; stuff slits with half the garlic. Generously season beef with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Cook beef until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
  2. In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine beef, onion, potatoes, tomatoes (with puree), rosemary, and remaining garlic.  Cover; cook on high setting until meat is fork-tender, about 6 hours (do not uncover while cooking).  
  3. Transfer meat to a cutting board; thinly slice, and discard any gristle.  Skim fat from top of sauce, and spoon sauce generously over deliciously tender meat and veggies.




Also, we inhaled these these biscuits. For extra tastiness, I added 1/2 cup of fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley.



And friends brought salad and a pumpkin pie. A pie, do you believe it? I finally got to eat a slice of pie that I didn't have to make. It was delicious.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I must say, everything was so delicious! I've copied your recipes into my email so I'll have them forever and always remember what a gourmet chef you are!

Jill said...

I was a bit intimidated bringing that pie--but I'm sure the fact that you didn't make it made it taste that much sweeter! Thanks for all the recipes. We loved the quesadillas, I'll have to try your version. And the bouncy ball party was a blast. You did a great job on the details. I loved the decorations, orange table and the abc book. Making your own gifts may be a little more expensive (sometimes) but so much sweeter. Pete will never remember the plastic elmo toy he got, but he will always love his abc book from his mama!